UDW Job Description: Employee Benefits & Wellness Manager.
United Domestic Workers of America, UDW/AFSCME Local 3930 is a statewide labor union that represents more than 155,000 home care and family child care providers in 45 counties in California. Founded in 1979, UDW is a diverse, progressive labor organization that seeks dynamic, committed individuals who will support our members and those for whom they care locally, statewide, and at the national level.
UDW is one of California’s largest labor unions. We consistently support and lead important social justice initiatives like fighting for racial justice, income inequality, and affordable health care for all. We are committed to respect and dignity for seniors, people with disabilities, and the children in our care. We fight for better working conditions and fair pay for home care and child care providers, and full funding for life-saving programs like In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) and subsidized family child care. For more information about UDW, please visit our website at www.udwa.org.
Job Title: Employee Benefits and Wellness Manager.
Job Type: Exempt (Salary).
Department: Human Resources.
Reports to: Human Resources Director.
Job Location: San Diego, CA 92115.
Schedule: Full-time - Monday to Friday, 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Hybrid (In office/remote).
Starting Salary: $66,598.00/year to $89,364.00/year (depending on experience).
The Employee Benefits and Wellness Manager develops, implements, administers, and maintains health and wellness benefits programs, policies, and procedures. Ensures programs are equitable, meet employee needs, comply with legal requirements, and support UDW’s objectives. Evaluates existing benefits programs against peer organizations to determine competitiveness and trends. Makes recommendations to keep benefit and wellness programs relevant.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and manage competitive benefit programs that strengthen the organization’s ability to attract and retain employees and deliver desired results to the organization.
- Uses solid foundational knowledge to maintain applicable regulatory compliance for all life, health, and wellness benefit programs.
- Leads the annual open enrollment process to include managing the process for changes to benefits, evaluating new programs, carriers, vendors, or partners; assume primary responsibility for working with the HRIS/benefits administration system to accomplish online enrollment and interface files with benefits vendors.
- Negotiate benefit changes and/or updates proactively before open enrollment commences.
- Support calculating employee contribution rates and budget estimating, and quarterly forecasting.
- Supports development and implementation of metrics and analytics to provide insights, drive decision making and measure engagement and effectiveness of benefit programs.
- Analyze benefit plan results and initiate appropriate action to sustain desired benefit plan performance.
- Develop, manage, and monitor the benefits budget, assuring appropriate allocations for revenue, expenses, and fund balance are established, with regular adjustments as necessary.
- Implement and manage engagement initiatives to enhance the participation in and value from health benefits, wellness initiatives, other benefits, and financial programs for a diverse workforce.
- Uses reporting and survey results to identify areas of opportunity and trends to find solutions and measure the improvement of program results.
- Integrate and effectively use EAP, mental health, and other behavioral programs as part of overall employee wellness.
- Ensures compliance with County policies, State and Federal laws, regulations, and mandates related to benefits and wellness programs such as COBRA, HIPAA, FMLA, etc.
- Manage all Leave of absence (LOA) programs, such as FMLA, CFRA, PDL, other leaves, and COVID-19 issues and protocols.
- Designs, plans, and implements classes, speakers, seminars, personal training, and voluntary assessments to promote healthy lifestyles.
- Assists employees with personal concerns and assessments; provide recommendations and referrals for counseling, crisis intervention, and treatment.
- Drafts and maintains accurate, confidential records and reports as required to track and assess employee participation, program incentives, costs, and benefits to the company.
- Drafts reports and proposals for wellness initiatives and action plans (including cost-benefit analyses) for presentation to upper management.
- Planning, scheduling, and hosting wellness events which can include health fairs, fitness day, sports tournaments, blood drives, lunch & learns, company 5ks, or participation in community events; advertise, promote, and ensure that they run smoothly.
- Together with legal counsel, ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, policies, and procedures for benefits management and delivery, and recommend policy and procedure changes.
- Establish, manage and nurture effective business relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Identify, implement, and evaluate clinical programs to manage participant health and lower costs.
- Utilize disability and other absence management programs to produce a positive impact on attendance, productivity, and return to work programs.
- Leverage Human Resources and other systems and tools to effectively manage benefit participation and cost data.
- Conduct new hire benefits orientations.
- Create benefit-related communications to the organization.
- Assists employees with benefit inquiries and manages enrollment, renewal, and delivery of benefits.
- Acts as the liaison between our benefits broker, benefit companies, and team members.
- Serve as a member of the Human Resources leadership team, contributing to advancing the department’s vision and mission.
- Assist with department projects and perform other duties as assigned, which are reasonably within the scope of work in this job classification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Technical knowledge of benefits administration and wellness management.
- Possess a deep understanding of compliance requirements such as ACA, ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, etc.
- Strong understanding of the intersection of Benefits, HR, Payroll, and Risk.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience promoting health equity.
- Knowledge and ability to speak proficiently on deferred compensation plans.
- Possess strong financial acumen.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to engage and train internal stakeholders across multifunctional teams through effective communication.
- Execution, attention to detail, initiative, conflict resolution, customer focus, collaboration, building ownership and commitment, establishing direction, drive for change, and getting organizational support.
- Strong strategic and tactical skills.
- Must be highly adaptable and organized; able to prioritize and meet target dates in a changing environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and human relations skills.
- Ability to manage info/data for tracking, analysis, reporting, and driving-related actionable objectives.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and time-sensitive tasks while ensuring accurate completion.
- Ability to use independent judgment, problem-solve, and answer questions.
- Ability to handle and work with highly confidential information Results driven and accountable for actions; focus on planning and execution.
- Ability to work independently yet sees others as partners and essential team members.
- Strong organizational and systems implementation.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Professionalism - Tactfully approaches others; Reacts well under pressure; Follows through on commitments.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or related field or equivalent education and experience.
- 5 to 7 years of progressive experience in benefits administration management of employee/retiree benefits programs and experience managing a benefits information system.
- 5 to 7 years of experience of leadership or supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated experience building and maintaining comprehensive health and wellness benefit programs.
- Experience planning and managing annual open enrollment benefits related to HRIS requirements, and benefit program metrics development and reporting.
- Proven ability to successfully accomplish timely completion of multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- A high level of professionalism, honesty, integrity, and work ethic are essential.
- Computer literacy and knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
- Strong communication and training delivery skills are required.
- Energetic, enthusiastic, and self-motivated.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills.
- HR certifications: PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM - SCP credential (preferred).
- Fluency in Spanish (preferred).
- Ability to work from UDW’s office 3 days/per week.
- Willingness to travel as needed.
- Valid driver's license.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
UDW has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. As a condition of employment, our employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk and listen. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is required to stand, walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily exposed to an office-type environment. The employee will frequently work on or around office equipment and furniture. The noise level in the work environment is low to moderate. The employee will frequently work with deadlines under pressure and will occasionally be required to work alone. The employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor environments can include exposure to vehicles, moving mechanical parts; vibration; odors, fumes, gasses, smoke, dust, or airborne particles; and outside weather conditions.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
UDWA is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, does not discriminate against an employee or applicant based on race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.
Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please visit UDW’s career page and submit your application.
UDW’s career link: https://udwa.betterteam.com/