UDWA Job Description
United Domestic Workers of America (UDWA) Care Providers Union/AFSCME Local 3930 is a statewide labor union that represents more than 150,000 home care and childcare providers in 45 counties in California. Founded in 1979, UDWA is a diverse, progressive labor organization that seeks dynamic, committed individuals who will support our members and those for whom they care locally, statewide and at the national level.
United Domestic Workers of America is one of California’s largest unions of home care and childcare providers and consistently supported and led our community’s social justice initiatives including racial justice, income inequality and affordable health for all. We are committed to respect and dignity for Californians with disabilities, the sick, and the elderly. We fight for better working conditions collectively and fair pay for home care and childcare providers and full funding for life-saving programs like In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS). For more information about United Domestic Workers of America (UDWA), please visit our website at http://www.udwa.org/
- Job Title: Digital Organizer
- Job Type: Exempt (Salary)
- Department: OFS
- Reports to: Regional Manager
- Schedule: (In-person) Full Time, Monday to Friday 9:00AM to 6:00PM (subject to changes)
- Job Location: Chico, CA 95928
Digital Organizers will be responsible for innovating organizing models to build the collective power and channel that energy into powerful campaigns by building our base of member activists, supporters, developing leaders, and helping people share their stories and demand action from elected officials online and in-person. Digital Organizers will have both an organizer’s mindset and strong digital technical skills as well as knowledge of unions and civic engagement.
Digital Organizers can lead by example and train others to use — social media, texting, multimedia, databases, and spreadsheets to bring in new members, and lead current members up a ladder of engagement in the union. This role will thrive in a fast-paced campaign environment, and will need to keep multiple projects moving, plan for and hit deadlines, and collaborate with partners both inside and outside the organization. Digital Organizers will work closely with the Regional Managers and collaborate with Statewide Field Coordinators, Lead Union Representatives, and other leadership teams to successfully build and carry out the organization goals using digital platforms and innovating union campaigns, political campaigns, and community organizing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruit new members and utilize digital tools to meet the Growth goals of the Region.
- Build our base of member activists at the local level through digital advertising, organic social media, texting, and other digital tools by identifying their interests that coincide with our union volunteer opportunities.
- Reach out to current members, move them up a ladder of engagement in the union, and improve their leadership skills.
- Develop the leadership of working people to share their stories with each other and publicly, with the media and online.
- Assist the members, leaders and field staff plan and execute Membership Meetings and Area Informational Meetings online., Facebook Live, Council Meetings, budget hearings, lobby visits, political campaigns, and any other online events.
- Plan and execute in-person events and meetings in the Region by promoting and streaming them online.
- Participate in strategy development and planning to grow the local, regional and state campaign programs and advance advocacy priorities.
- Conduct, analyze, and share findings of message testing to identify the most effective organizing strategies.
- Use analytics to improve our messaging, programs, and campaign to strengthen impact.
- Keep projects on track and communicate regularly with the team.
- Craft engaging social media posts, cultivate community within Facebook groups, and explore how new social media platforms and features (FB messenger, Instagram, WhatsApp, etc) can be used for organizing.
- Create content and videos for social media posts, online ads and email blasts working closely with Communications Department.
- Test, setup, and train field staff and members to use texting, predictive dialing, relational organizing software, online advocacy, and other digital tools for organizing and member servicing.
- Manage data and tracking systems in collaboration with the Statewide Field Coordinator.
- Work with Communications Department and Communication Council to help members share their stories through videos, images, writing, press interviews, storytelling trainings, etc.
- Provide coaching and technical assistance to other field staff and members, helping them use technology and online outreach to further organize goals and turn out to events.
- Conduct Leadership Academy trainings and other online trainings in collaboration with the Education Department and Training Center.
- Perform other duties as required to support the work of the Region, not limited to representing UDW in virtual coalition meetings, local Government meetings as well as other events online.
- Support temporary employee organizers (TEOs) in alignment with regional plans and initiatives.
- Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Proficiency using digital tools, such as:
- Customer Relationship Management (CRMs): (ActionNetwork, EveryAction, NationBuilder)
- Text Messaging Platforms: (Hustle, ThruText, Strive, Spoke)
- Relational Organizing: (OutreachCircle, Reach, Team)
- Online Advocacy: (New/Mode, Phone2Action/Capitol Canary)
- Story Collection Platforms: (Soapboxx, Flipgrid)
- Understanding of the fundamentals of organizing
- Strong inter-personal skills
- Ability to plan and facilitate meetings
- Strong writing, research, and communication skills.
- Strong listening, persuasion, and facilitation skills.
- Knowledge of how to run Facebook ad campaigns and/or other paid digital programs and platforms.
- Ability to create compelling graphics and videos for social media using Adobe Creative Suite or similar tools.
- Familiarity with Excel and Google Sheets and ability to build data tracking systems
- Strong organization and tracking skills
- Ability to keep projects moving, pay attention to detail, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, navigate obstacles, discern priorities, meet competing deadlines, and handle multiple projects.
- Ability to relate to and work with diverse groups of people as well as an understanding of the daily challenges faced by low-income communities of color.
- Strong willingness to learn, adapt, take feedback, and implement changes in real time.
- Strong database management skills that inform analysis of the base and strategy.
Preferred Qualifications, Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in either Communications, Digital Marketing, Political Science or comparable.
- 2+ years of experience organizing or digital campaigning experience in labor union campaigns, political campaigns, or community organizing experience or education in lieu of experience.
- 2+ years of experience using digital communication platforms in (Customer Relationship Management (CRMs), Text Messaging Platforms, Relational Organizing, Online Advocacy, Story Collection Platforms)
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and strategic planning skills.
- Ability to manage relationships in complex political and sensitive organizational situations.
- Experience working with diverse communities.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
Preferred Bilingual Language(s) in either:
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance that covers business driving, and an automobile for business use.
- Willingness to travel, and ability to work flexible hours and work long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
United Domestic Workers of America has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. As a condition of employment, our employees are
required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life / AD&D
- Long Term Disability (LTD)
- 401(k) Savings Plan
- Pension Plan
- Vacation Benefits
- Sick Leave
- Personal Day (8hrs)
- 13+ Paid Holidays
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily exposed to an office-type environment. The employee will frequently work on or around office equipment and furniture. The noise level in the work environment is low to moderate. The employee will frequently work with deadlines under pressure and will occasionally be required to work alone. The employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor environment can include exposure to vehicles, moving mechanical parts; vibration; odors, fumes, gasses, smoke, dust, or airborne particles; and outside weather conditions.
Equal Opportunity Employer
UDWA is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, does not discriminate an employee or applicant based on race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.
Women, people of color and members of the LGBTQIA+ community are strongly encouraged to apply.