United Domestic Workers of America, UDW/AFSCME Local 3930is a statewide labor union that represents more than 155,000 home care and family child care providers in 45 counties in California. Founded in 1979, UDW is a diverse, progressive labor organization that seeks dynamic, committed individuals who will support our members and those for whom they care locally, statewide and at the national level.
UDW is one of California’s largest labor unions. We consistently support and lead important social justice initiatives like fighting for racial justice, income inequality, and affordable health care for all. We are committed to respect and dignity for seniors, people with disabilities, and the children in our care. We fight for better working conditions and fair pay for home care and child care providers, and full funding for life-saving programs like In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) and subsidized family child care. For more information about UDW, please visit our website at www.udwa.org.
Applying for this position:
Apply with updated and detailed resume, cover letter, a one-page writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references.
Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
UDW Job Description: Digital Strategist – Social Media
Job Title: Digital Strategist – Social Media
Job Type: Exempt (Salary)
Reports to: Assistant Communications Director
Job Location: Based in San Diego, CA
Schedule: Monday to Friday 9:00AM to 5:00PM, Hybrid (In office/remote)
Starting Salary: 65,000-80,000, DOE
UDW seeks a Digital Strategist – Social Media to amplify the voices of home care providers and America’s working families. The right person for this job will have a commitment to economic and social justice, and work with our team to create worker-centered communications. We are looking for someone to help us build our online communities and take our online presence to the next level. The Digital Strategist – Social Media will focus on activation and execution of projects and strategies as part of the overall digital and social media strategy for the Communications department at UDW. This role will set the tone and direction for all social properties to drive awareness, generate new engagement opportunities, further develop and strengthen our member experience, and build meaningful relationships in our communities. This role will be responsible for the day-to-day activity of UDW’s social accounts and platforms.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create and manage digital content (writing and graphics) for UDW websites, social media accounts, emails, and text messages. This includes attending events in-person to capture video and other digital content.
- Create and maintain weekly, monthly, and quarterly digital calendars for all UDW social media accounts and serve as point person for social media requests.
- Work with assistant director to develop and execute digital advertising plans.
- Work with staff writer and visual strategist to create messaging and graphics for digital campaigns.
- Create, film, and edit digital video content.
- Compile web, email and social networking analytics into weekly reports and/or as requested.
- Utilize analytics, digital ad campaigns, and marketing tools to grow UDW’s social media accounts, with special emphasis on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Maintain the accuracy of UDW’s social media content and assist digital team with accuracy of UDW websites.
- Respond to social media and online inquiries in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Coordinate data collection across digital platforms to keep membership records updated and accurate.
- Increase the number of people in UDW’s online communities and levels of engagement.
- Assist field staff and local boards with the growth and maintenance of regional Facebook groups and other social media.
- As needed, assist digital team members with the management, coordination, and delivery of email blasts, SMS, and peer-to-peer messaging as requested by field staff with accuracy and in a timely manner.
- Utilize Action Network, Mobile Commons, Hustle and other technology systems used to create, generate, and distribute email and SMS campaigns when necessary
- Attend and cover UDW events, including taking photos and video, interviewing members, and posting to social media.
- Assist with other communications projects such as press outreach, prepping members for interviews and public speaking, as needed.
- Assist with or lead communications trainings for UDW members and/or staff.
- Support other activities related to UDW’s internal and external communications programs
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to run and manage multiple digital campaigns at once (e.g. texting campaigns, eblast campaigns, digital ad campaigns, etc.)
- Ability to multi-task and must work well under pressure and deadlines.
- Ability to handle numerous projects at the same time and work independently.
- Demonstrated commitment to social, racial, and economic justice.
- Well-organized, attentive to detail, and able to follow verbal instructions.
- Software, apps, platforms: MS Office Suite, Adobe CS (or similar), Canva, Wordpress, Action Network, Mobile Commons, Hustle, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and social management software like Hootsuite, Buffer, etc.
- Understanding of labor, community, political or student organizing
- Familiarity with communications and digital marketing principles, practices, and procedures.
- Expertise using Microsoft programs, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, Outlook; Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Acrobat; Zoom; Canva or similar design programs; familiarity with social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) and social management software like Hootsuite, Buffer, etc.; task management software like Asana
- Effective calendar management and time management skills.
- Experience composing grammatically correct correspondence, and editing drafts to correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to communicate and relate respectfully with a diverse membership and staff.
- Commitment to provide accurate, efficient, and friendly service to staff and members.
- Ability to exercise strong problem-solving skills.
- Able to prioritize and complete workload; able to handle numerous projects at the same time and work independently
- Ability to design and create presentations using UDW brand assets
- Ability to engage and inform UDW’s online audiences, from UDW members to legislators and allies and the public.
- Knowledge of social media platforms and trends.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Ability to accurately follow instructions.
- 3-6 years of experience as a Communications, Marketing, Digital Marketing professional, or less combined with Bachelor’s degree in communications or marketing
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills, particularly the ability to take complex material and make it accessible to a broad audience.
- Video editing experience
- Works well under pressure and meets tight deadlines.
- Highly computer literate with capability in email, MS Office and related business and communication tools.
- Fantastic organizational and time management skills.
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Eye for design
- Bilingual in Spanish or Vietnamese a plus
- Flexibility to be on-call and/or work weekends, after hours and holidays to complete projects and support campaigns
- Ability to work from UDW’s San Diego office 3 days/week
- Willingness to travel as needed
- Valid driver's license
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
UDW has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. As a condition of employment, our employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily exposed to an office-type environment. The employee will frequently work on or around office equipment and furniture. The noise level in the work environment is low to moderate. The employee will frequently work with deadlines under pressure and will occasionally be required to work alone. The employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor environment can include exposure to vehicles, moving mechanical parts; vibration; odors, fumes, gasses, smoke, dust, or airborne particles; and outside weather conditions.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
UDWA is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, does not discriminate an employee or applicant based on race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.