UDWA Job Description
United Domestic Workers of America (UDWA) Care Providers Union/AFSCME Local 3930 is a statewide labor union that represents more than 150,000 home care and childcare providers in 45 counties in California. Founded in 1979, UDWA is a diverse, progressive labor organization that seeks dynamic, committed individuals who will support our members and those for whom they care locally, statewide and at the national level.
United Domestic Workers of America is one of California’s largest unions of home care and childcare providers and consistently supported and led our community’s social justice initiatives including racial justice, income inequality and affordable health for all. We are committed to respect and dignity for Californians with disabilities, the sick, and the elderly. We fight for better working conditions collectively and fair pay for home care and childcare providers and full funding for life-saving programs like In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS). For more information about United Domestic Workers of America (UDWA), please visit our website at http://www.udwa.org//
- Job Title: Database Analyst I
- Job Type: Exempt (Salary)
- Department: Information Technology (IT)
- Reports to: Information Technology Director
- Job Location: Based in San Diego, CA (Hybrid - Remote and In-person)
- Schedule: Monday to Friday 9:00AM to 6:00PM (subject to changes)
This position reports directly to the Information Technology Director for all work assignments and administrative activities. The individual is required to handle multiple priorities within time constraints and to assist other field technical staff with technical problem resolution. The Database Analyst I will assist the Information Technology Director in implementation and development of secure, efficient, and accurate databases and other IT projects to meet the organization’s strategic goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for collection, manipulation, and preparation of data for use by UDWA’s database system and other data platforms.
- Support the implementation of secure, efficient, and accurate databases.
- Maintains current and accurate knowledge of data storage and management best practices.
- Managing customer relationship management (CRM) systems and membership databases particularly at an administrative level.
- Assist in developing data processes to accurately measure progress toward organizing goals.
- When required, develop automation processes and techniques to fulfill staff needs while ensuring data integrity and system performance.
- Assist with training and troubleshooting use of UDWA databases.
- Heavy data cleaning and standardization
- Ensures that database projects are completed on time and within estimated costs.
- Coordinate specific data processes between external tools and local databases.
- Gathers, organizes, and interprets statistical data from the database to provide reports to, and answer questions from, upper management.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Understanding of computer languages used within database.
- Understanding of database design and construction.
- Must have extensive knowledge of Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel to perform many of the data cleaning tasks.
- Familiarity with electronic equipment, internet applications and security.
- Excellent oral and written communication and customer service skills
- Ability to lean into new technologies available.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Strong strategic and critical thinking skills.
- Some knowledge and commitment to labor rights and social justice.
- Work effectively in team settings, as well as independently.
- Effectively prioritize and multi-task assignments and responsibilities.
Preferred Qualifications, Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, information Systems or comparable field (preferred)
- 3 to 5 years of active SQL scripting experience
- Experience in data cleaning and standardization
- Experience administering all functions of the Microsoft Office 365 platform such as SharePoint, Power Automate and MS Teams (a plus)
Preferred Bilingual Language(s) in either: Spanish
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance that covers business driving, and an automobile for business use.
- Occasional travel to our multiple offices in California and some out of state trainings
- Occasional weekend work.
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life / AD&D
- Long Term Disability (LTD)
- 401(k) Savings Plan
- Pension Plan
- Vacation Benefits
- Sick Leave
- Personal Day (8hrs)
- 13+ Paid Holidays
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
United Domestic Workers of America has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. As a condition of employment, our employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily exposed to an office-type environment. The employee will frequently work on or around office equipment and furniture. The noise level in the work environment is low to moderate. The employee will frequently work with deadlines under pressure and will occasionally be required to work alone. The employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor environment can include exposure to vehicles, moving mechanical parts; vibration; odors, fumes, gasses, smoke, dust, or airborne particles; and outside weather conditions.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
UDWA is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, does not discriminate an employee or applicant based on race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.
Women, people of color and members of the LGBTQIA+ community are strongly encouraged to apply.