UDWA Job Description
United Domestic Workers of America (UDWA) Care Providers Union/AFSCME Local 3930 is a statewide labor union that represents more than 150,000 home care and childcare providers in 45 counties in California. Founded in 1979, UDWA is a diverse, progressive labor organization that seeks dynamic, committed individuals who will support our members and those for whom they care locally, statewide, and at the national level.
United Domestic Workers of America is one of California’s largest unions of home care and childcare providers and consistently supported and led our community’s social justice initiatives, including racial justice, income inequality, and affordable health for all. We are committed to respect and dignity for Californians with disabilities, the sick, and the elderly. We fight for better working conditions collectively and fair pay for home care and childcare providers, and full funding for life-saving programs like In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS). For more information about United Domestic Workers of America (UDWA), please visit our website at http://www.udwa.org/
- Job Title: Administrative Assistant/ Receptionist (Area Administration Support Staff)
- Job Type: Non-Exempt (Hourly)
- Department: OFS.
- Reports to Regional Manager.
- Schedule: In-person - Full Time, Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 6:00 PM (office hours)
- Job Location: Santa Ana, CA 92701.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: None.
- Job Type: Full-time.
- Salary: $22.00 - $25.00 per hour.
Area Administration Support Staff provide clerical support as well as receptionist support to the assigned county office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides administrative support to ensure efficient operation of the office.
- Welcome visitors in a warm and friendly manner and answer any questions visitors have.
- Exhibits polite and professional communication via phone, e-mail, and mail.
- Maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the members, providers, and staff information.
- Interact with members, providers, staff, and visitors
- Anticipate the needs of others to ensure their seamless and positive experience.
- Answer telephones and transfer them to the appropriate staff member.
- Open, sort, and distribute incoming correspondence, including faxes and emails.
- Receive deliveries; sort and distribute incoming mail.
- Perform general clerical duties to include, but are not limited to, copying, faxing mailing, and filing.
- Plan and schedule meetings, presentations, other office-related events, and travel arrangements; send reminders regarding upcoming appointments.
- Create and modify documents using Microsoft Programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Office Publisher.
- Prepare communications, such as memos, emails, invoices, reports, and other correspondence
- Maintains supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level, anticipating needed supplies, and placing and expediting orders for supplies.
- Open, close, and maintain the reception area and all common areas in a clean and tidy manner at all times.
- Help prepare materials for distribution, orientations, meetings, and other events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, using Microsoft Teams, Zoom, scheduling, and communication software.
- Proficient in organization and planning.
- Ability to research and analysis.
- Attention to detail.
- Exceptional internal and external customer service.
- Exceptional Phone Etiquette
- Ability to operate with discretion and keep sensitive information confidential.
- Emotional Intelligence
- Proficient in Teamwork, team building, and motivating others.
- Flexibility and efficiency
- Great writing skills, analytical, problem-solving skills, and prioritization.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of organization and general administration.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment, including but not limited to computers, printers, fax, scanners, telephone systems, and calculators.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
Preferred Qualifications, Education, and/or Experience:
- High school diploma, general education degree (GED), or Associate degree in a related field.
- 2 years of Administrative Assistant and Receptionist experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and video conference platforms (like Zoom and Microsoft Teams)
- Flexibility to work weekends.
- Excellent computer skills, especially typing.
- Attention to detail.
- Desire to be proactive and create a positive experience for others.
- Bilingual is a plus. (Spanish or Vietnamese)
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance that covers business driving, and an automobile for business use.
- Willingness to travel and ability to work flexible and long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
United Domestic Workers of America has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. As a condition of employment, our employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
- Health Insurance.
- Vision Insurance.
- Dental Insurance.
- Life / AD&D.
- Long Term Disability. (LTD)
- 401(k) Savings Plan.
- Pension Plan.
- Vacation Benefits.
- Sick Leave.
- Personal Day. (8hrs)
- 13+ Paid Holiday.
The physical demands described here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers and handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily exposed to an office-type environment. The employee will frequently work on or around office equipment and furniture. The noise level in the work environment is low to moderate. The employee will frequently work
with deadlines under pressure and will occasionally be required to work alone. The employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor environments can include exposure to vehicles, moving mechanical parts; vibration; odors, fumes, gasses, smoke, dust, or airborne particles; and outside weather conditions.
Equal Opportunity Employer
UDWA is an equal opportunity employer and, as such, does not discriminate against an employee or applicant based on race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.
Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please visit UDW’s career page and submit your application.