- Position: Call Center Representative (Members Resources) - Bilingual (Vietnamese)
United Domestic Workers of America (UDWA) Care Providers Union/AFSCME Local 3930 is a statewide labor union that represents more than 150,000 home care and childcare providers in 45 counties in California. Founded in 1979, UDWA is a diverse, progressive labor organization that seeks dynamic, committed individuals who will support our members and those for whom they care locally, statewide and at the national level.
United Domestic Workers of America is one of California’s largest unions of home care and childcare providers and consistently supported and led our community’s social justice initiatives including racial justice, income inequality and affordable health for all. We are committed to respect and dignity for Californians with disabilities, the sick, and the elderly. We fight for better working conditions collectively and fair pay for home care and childcare providers and full funding for life-saving programs like In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS). For more information about United Domestic Workers of America (UDWA), please visit our website at http://www.udwa.org/
- Job Title: Member Resources Center Representative (Call Center Representative)
- Job Type: Non-Exempt (Hourly)
- Department: Member Benefits Center (MBC)
- Reports to: Member Benefits Center Manager
- Schedule: Full Time, Monday to Friday 8:00AM to 5:00PM (subject to changes)
- Job Location: San Diego, CA
This position is responsible for performing a wide variety of member benefit functions such as contacting members and providers, providing solutions to member inquiries, and communicating current events, meetings and benefits to members and providers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Function as headquarters receptionist support, handling inbound and outbound calls; tally as required.
- Perform administrative support tasks, such as proofreading, transcribing handwritten information, or working with membership records, dues, and payments.
- Transmit information or documents using computer, mail, or facsimile.
- Collect, sort, distribute, or prepare mail, messages, deliveries, and welcome packets.
- Interact with members via telephone, internet, in-person, and mail to provide information in response to inquiries.
- Analyze data to determine answers to member questions regarding membership, benefits, services, and programs.
- Follow-up as needed to ensure that member inquiries are addressed, and tickets are closed within allotted time.
- Resolve members' service or billing questions by researching data and interacting with internal and external departmental resources.
- Refer unresolved member inquiries to designated departments for further investigation.
- Remain up to date on program policies and procedures applicable to member inquiries.
- Provide members timesheet training on form completion, workweeks, deadlines, and submission.
- Support membership retention by providing excellent customer service, effectively communicating benefits, and providing additional educational resources.
- Update and maintain membership databases; prepare change of address records, issue tickets, record member transactions, record details of inquiries and action taken.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proven ability to develop and maintain a variety of relationships on a variety of levels.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, transcription, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Knowledge of multiline phone systems, personal computer and software applications including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Capacity to learn software applications and technology quickly.
- Ability to utilize active listening, problem sensitivity and critical thinking when addressing member inquiries.
- Ability to compose correspondence using proper grammar and punctuation.
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing situations, make appropriate judgments and assuming various roles and responsibilities as needed and/or upon request.
- Demonstrate time management skills while prioritizing time-sensitive and demanding tasks.
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain quality of detailed work while meeting competing and inflexible deadlines; ability to perform repetitive tasks.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple priorities in a timely manner and keep track of a variety of projects.
Preferred Bilingual Language(s) in either:
Preferred Qualifications, Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 0-2 years of experience or comparable experience in a customer service environment, evaluating customer needs, meeting quality standards of service, and evaluating customer satisfaction.
- Strong interpersonal, communication skills.
- Experience building a team and overseeing staff towards program and department outcomes.
- Experience working with diverse communities.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
- Beginner to Intermediate skills in Excel - running and creating functions, formulas, able to understand and use pivot tables, and charts.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance that covers business driving, and an automobile for business use.
- Willingness and ability to work flexible hours and sometimes work long and irregular hours.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
United Domestic Workers of America has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. As a condition of employment, our employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
- Health/ Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life / AD&D
- Long Term Disability (LTD)
- 401(k) Savings Plan
- Pension Plan
- Vacation Benefits
- Sick Leave
- Personal Day (8hrs)
- 13+ Paid Holidays
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily exposed to an office-type environment. The employee will frequently work on or around office equipment and furniture. The noise level in the work environment is low to moderate. The employee will frequently work with deadlines under pressure and will occasionally be required to work alone. The employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor environment can include exposure to vehicles, moving mechanical parts; vibration; odors, fumes, gasses, smoke, dust, or airborne particles; and outside weather conditions.
Equal Opportunity Employer
UDWA is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, does not discriminate an employee or applicant based on race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.
Women, people of color and members of the LGBTQIA+ community are strongly encouraged to apply.